So I went to Pasadena, CA last week for a seminar, and got to go to my FAVORITE house ever! Some of you non-architect types will remember it as Doc's house in Back to the Future (the movie that started my obsession with this house), others may not know it at all. No guesses? Well... it's the Gamble house. Designed by Greene & Greene in 1907 (some say 1908), it is the epitome of Arts & Crafts architecture with some influence from Asia. The craftsmanship is fantastic...I can guarantee you won't find a day laborer at the Valero on the corner that can do this stuff. Maybe there are people that can do this, but it's insanely expensive... i'd like to think it's not completely a lost art. ANYWAY... off my soap box... it's a beautiful house. I think I am a bigger fan of the exterior and of the gardens than the interior (the clinker brick retaining wall with the vines is super cool...very organic), although the interior is full of beautiful woodwork, carvings, and other things you just don't find today. So I got to see this house in person, and it was amazing. Here are some pics so you can get super jealous! hahaha (they're from my phone, so quality is a bit lacking.)
And since I was there with Tim (my coworker), and men are obsessed with football, we took pictures of the stands that were up for the Rose Bowl parade. So here you go.

Exciting, huh?
These things were EVERYWHERE. in front of people's multi-million dollar houses, businesses... you name it. Saw the big mansion where the Rose Bowl parade starts... looks like something off Swiss Ave, so I didn't take a pic. I was disappointed.
Anyway, there are photos from my trip.
Exciting, eh?
I did get to purchase a very cute sock monkey for the fetus while there... I hope he/she likes it!
No comments:
Post a Comment